An ANZSHM conference is held on a biennial basis. The conference usually spans 3-5 days at venues around Australia and New Zealand. The program includes keynote addresses, a varied program of research papers and other intellectual and social activities. Financial assistance in the form of Ben Haneman Memorial Conference Grants for Postgraduate Students is available on a competitive basis for students to attend the conference.
The 17th Biennial Conference of the ANZSHM will be held in Newcastle, Australia, between 7-10 July 2021. A call for papers and program details will be forthcoming.
Applicants for one of the Ben Haneman Memorial Conference Grants for Postgraduate Students should first read the Information for Applicants, complete an Application Form, and send it to the ANZSHM Grants Coordinator, Associate Professor Louella McCarthy: email@example.com. A list of previous recipients is available here.
Michiel Jansz van Mierevelt
Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Willem van der Meer, 1716
Previous Biennial Conferences
1. New Perspectives on the History of Medicine, Sydney, 1989
2. Impact of the Past upon the Present, Perth, 1991
3. Outpost Medicine - Australian Studies on the History of Medicine, Hobart, 1993
4. History, Heritage and Health, Norfolk Island, 1995
5. Migration to Mining, Darwin, 1997
6. Individuals & Institutions in the History of Medicine, Sydney, 1999
7. ASHM Biennial Conference, Adelaide, 2001
8. Exploring the Boundaries of Medicine, Melbourne, 2003
9. Health and History: International Perspectives, Auckland, New Zealand, 2005
10. Medicine in Context, Canberra, 2007
11. Health and History at the Frontier, Perth, 2009
12. Public Health, Private Healers, Brisbane, 2011
13. Antipodean Health: People, Places, Perceptions, Darwin, 2013
14. Missions, Methods and Management, Sydney, 2015
15. Health, Medicine and Society: Challenge and Change, Melbourne, 2017
16. Beyond Borders: Health and Medicine in Historical Context, Auckland, 2019
Other conferences involving the ANZSHM
Launceston Bicentenary Conference, 2006